A Toolbox Talk is an informal discussion involving workers. It focuses on a particular safety issue which may be related to the job to be done.
The safety issues as regards to the workplace or the nature of the industry. A toolbox talk is one of the pro-active tools used in fighting against hazards and on accidents elimination on site. These tools can be used daily to promote your department’s safety culture. Toolbox talk facilitates health and safety discussions on the job site.
Following are the salient features of toolbox talks:
• It always at the beginning of the work shift or the beginning of work.
• The meeting is on the job site and mostly by standing up.
• It has a duration that is not more than 15 minutes.
• There may be a review of the previous talk.
• There will be a discussion on the current task.
• It always involves discussions on safety issues as regards to health, safety, and environment. Several topics can come from this broader topic and can be for the meeting.
• Toolbox talk is mandatory, and It’s for all workers participation. Review and recapitulation with a quiz or test can come in while doing the delivery.
Toolbox talks advance the knowledge of safety concerns in the forefront. A toolbox talk may have the following
• Improves awareness of safety. Employees get active in safety issues, and it reduces safety risks. It has the list of work hazards inherent in the job. The control measure in place
• Introduces workers to new equipment and its procedure, preventive practices and motivates workers to follow standard operating procedures
• It provides great information to workers on accident prevention and investigation, Emergency procedures and evacuation.
• Highlights planning, preparation, supervision, and documentation.No man knows it all
• Consequently, during the meeting, there are communications on new laws, industry standards, procedures and company policies.
• Encourages workers to discuss their experiences which can help to guide the fellow workers in the future.
Onyeka Emma is a QHSE Professional, a business person, and an entrepreneur. He is very passionate about health and safety, Business and Entrepreneurship.