What is HSE-Health, Safety and Environment?
HSE is an acronym that means H for health, S for safety and E for the environment.
HSE combines health, safety and environment programs to ensure a safe and healthy worker in a safe working environment.
Health, safety and environment profession is a noble profession. The HSE profession is not new globally. HSE came about due to the need to stop the numerous accidents that resulted in fatalities and lost time of workers and working hours.
What is Health?
According to WHO- World Health Organisation, Health is the state of complete physical, social and mental well-being and not merely the absence of disease or infirmity.
What is Safety?
Safety is the state of being “safe”. The condition of being protected against harm. Those harms can be physical, social, spiritual, financial, political, emotional, occupational, psychological, or educational.
Safety means protection from consequences of failure, damage, error, accident, or any other event which could be considered non-desirable. Safety can as well be the absence of risk of personal injury.
What is an environment?
The environment is the surroundings or conditions of living organisms (people, animals, plants) within an area. The environment includes the areas around our work activities.
Is HSE the same as EHS and SHE?
HSE is the same as EHS and SHE though different establishments use what they like and what can suit their choices. That variation shows the priority those organisation places on any of the words.
- What is the difference between the HSE manual and the HSE plan?
- What are the responsibilities of safety supervisors
- What does step back 5 by 5 mean?
- Toolbox talk on spray painting safety
- When is it necessary to put a casualty in a recovery position?
- Toolbox talk on office safety
- Safety officer interview question: The 6 skills your interviewer may want to hear from you.
- 7 types of permit to work (PTW) in use at the work site
- Can a first aider get an injury while providing first aid to a casualty?
- What is a Safe Working Load (SWL)?
Onyeka Emma is a QHSE Professional, a business person, and an entrepreneur. He is very passionate about health and safety, Business and Entrepreneurship.