A barricade is any object or structure that creates a barrier, blocks a passage of people or forces traffic to flow in the desired direction. They are important part of work area safety.
Barricades are often erected on a construction site to serve many purposes. Majorly is to control traffic of persons and equipment from collisions, person and equipment fall, and collapse of the excavation.
A barricade prevents unwanted access to excavation and stops the fall of persons into such an excavation.
What can you do to ensure a safe barricade around the workplace today?
- Install barricades, signs or warning systems to prevent the public from excavation sites. Firstly install warning systems ahead.
- Install barricades or guardrails at places where there is a traffic of persons and equipment like walkways, roads and pathways.
- Install standard guardrails at bridges where people are using to cross excavations. Guardrails involve top rail, mid rail and toe board.
- If an excavation is left unattended for a long time, ensure to protect it with a fence against accidental pedestrian entry. If the place is in a remote area where persons are likely to pass, warning posts and caution tape with a sign may be enough.
- Install barricades in a site to prevent unauthorized access from passers-by and intruders and to control vehicular passage.
- Ensure there is a system to inform any mobile equipment of a nearby excavation before it gets to the barricade.
- Toolbox talk on working in the desert
- Safety officer interview question: The 6 skills your interviewer may want to hear from you.
- Few things to know about the American society of safety Professionals Assp
- Toolbox talk on spray painting safety
- What does step back 5 by 5 mean?
- What are the five good housekeeping systems?
- Six keys to having good safety supervision
- Why do we have to use a tagline in lifting and rigging operations?
- What does it mean for your company to get certified to ISO 45001:2018 OHSMS?
- Tips to bear in mind when interviewing witnesses during incident investigation.
- What are the effects of an accident on the life of an employee?
- Reasons why a worker needs to stay healthy
Onyeka Emma is a QHSE Professional, a business person, and an entrepreneur. He is very passionate about health and safety, Business and Entrepreneurship.