Equipment maintenance is good. And it has numerous advantages, for example, It can make equipment last longer and keep running for a long-time thereby preventing work delays.
It prevents people from injury caused by equipment failure due to poor or no maintenance. Minor problems in equipment if left untreated grow over time and can cause a big problem in the future.
Maintenance of equipment makes the equipment to be available for use at all times. It involves repairing, cleaning and storing equipment accordingly.
Roles of equipment maintenance.
Equipment maintenance assists in ensuring that machines and equipment do not break down. Not just that, it improves the performance of the equipment.
Equipment maintenance will promote good time management and prevent any loss from equipment breakdown to the barest minimum. Companies have to make equipment maintenance a crucial part of their business.
When equipment is maintained, it involves the total replacement of damaged parts, repairing and servicing of the machine. Equipment is costly. For this, it’s good to make maintenance a part of the investment in the business to prevent losses. And this maintenance can be achieved by involving all types of equipment maintenance in your organization.
Types of equipment maintenance
- Reactive maintenance.
- Routine maintenance,
- Run to fail maintenance.
- Corrective maintenance,
- Preventive maintenance.
- Predictive maintenance
- Prescriptive maintenance.
Equipment Maintenance: How can we stay safe today? What will we do to promote equipment maintenance today?
- Inspection of all equipment and ensure they’re in good working condition before use.
- Tag all faulty equipment, do not use them. Refer them to the appropriate person for repairs.
- Maintain equipment with original parts and materials from its manufacturers.
- Make sure there is routine maintenance for all machines on site.
- Trained workers are assigned to conduct the maintenance work on machines.
- Do all visual inspections and ensure all parts are in place before use.
- Verify the fluid and the Oil level in the equipment before use.
- While using equipment, always ensure that it is not obstructing walkways, aisles, fire equipment, first aid stations and emergency showers.
- Ensure Fire extinguishers are present during repairs of equipment and ensure that the worker can be able to use them effectively during any fire emergency.
- All hazardous energy sources must be under lockout/ tag-out procedures while maintaining or repairing the equipment.
- Tag and separate all equipment, not in use from the ones being in use.
- Keep maintenance reports appropriately for reference.
- Toolbox talk on forklift safety.
- Welfare facilities in a workplace.
- 5 key benefits of ISO 14001-Environmental Management System.
- Road safety and accident prevention
- A complete guide on how to get a health and safety job in Nigeria: Starting and growing your career in HSE.
Onyeka Emma is a QHSE Professional, a business person, and an entrepreneur. He is very passionate about health and safety, Business and Entrepreneurship.