Teamwork involves when people come together to work for a common goal. Common goals may be to achieve a particular activity or engage in a task to get a result. Or have a defined outcome.
For some people, TEAM means Together everyone achieves more. And equally a natural gift for some people. Working together as a team has a lot of benefits. For example,
- It reduces the workload and spreads it across different workers.
- The speed of the work increases as many people work together for a common goal.
- It increases effectiveness as more people familiarise themselves and build more trust when working as a team.
- There is a reduction in injury when two or more come together to assist each other for a common goal.
- It discourages a lone worker arrangement which is more prone to the risk of harm.
READ ALSO: Toolbox talk on
Teamwork: how do we encourage teamwork at the site today?
- Know workers’ strengths and weaknesses before assigning them together as a team.
- Have a clear defined role and responsibility for the team member. And ensure you assign them roles they’ll perform well.
- Assign two or more people for a task at all times.
- Have many teams for different tasks and give them a timeline to finish their job.
- Avoid a Lone worker arrangement at the site and do not permit it.
- Ensure you define the goal clearly to the team and communicate a definite outcome or output for them.
- Encourage the team members to share knowledge and instruction to promote more gain.
- Ensure the team members are compatible enough to work together to increase bonding.
- Encourage frequent communication among the team.
- Allow the team to make their own decisions as long as it’s safe and better in the long run.
- Make team meetings to be focused, timely and useful to yield great results.
- What you need to know about lone working in a workplace.
- Workplace fire risk assessments.
- 7 home basic tips every parent should apply in their homes.
Onyeka Emma is a QHSE Professional, a business person, and an entrepreneur. He is very passionate about health and safety, Business and Entrepreneurship.