Toolbox talk on fall protection
Learn more on how to protect yourself against a fall on a construction site.
Fall protection means preventing a fall from happening in a workplace.
When a worker engages in an activity, more than 6 meters high, there is a likelihood that such a worker may fall if there are no measures to protect the worker.
Also, working close to an excavation or trench may pose a danger leading to a fall when protection is absent. A worker may trip on a hazard on the walkway and fall towards the ground.
Primary protection against a fall from height is the use of a guard rail or edge protection around the surrounding areas.
However,guardrail is a barrier erected at the exposed places of the working platform. Guardrails entail top rail, mid-rail and toeboard.
Secondary protection against such falls will be a Full body harness belt with a lanyard.
Fall protection: What are you to do to ensure adequate fall protection on site today?
- Remove all hazards that can cause falls on site. For examples, damaged ladders or improper erection of work platforms.
- Ensure you keep away from open edges, especially those edges that have inadequate guardrails in place.
- Keep away from open trenches and pits.
- Ensure that open trenches and pits are covered with appropriate materials.
- Ensure you use safety signages to indicate places where there is a risk of falls.
- Don’t engage in horseplay and other activities that may expose the worker to falling on a site.
- Avoid running on-site so that you don’t run into a pit or a trench.
- Prevent situations that will make the next worker fall on site.
- Do not enter into a barricaded or unauthorised area until you’re allowed to do so.
- Maintain good housekeeping at all times. Keep work areas free of debris. However, do not obstruct the walkway with any material so that workers.
- Ensure there is a fall prevention plan in place and all workers have to be knowledgeable about them.
Onyeka Emma is a QHSE Professional, a business person, and an entrepreneur. He is very passionate about health and safety, Business and Entrepreneurship.