Safety officer 40 Duties in the workplace.
Safety and health officer has enormous duties in the workplace. Their roles and responsibilities vary from organization to organization.
The legal requirement says that every company that has more than five employees will have a safety officer in charge of safety affairs in that company.
In this article, I will list out the significant duties of a Safety Officer. This will help to guide you through your work as a safety officer or during a safety officer job interview.
SAFETY AND HEALTH OFFICER DUTIES.
- The Health and Safety Officer is responsible for monitoring and assessing hazardous and unsafe situations.
- Responsible for developing measures to guarantee the safety of an employee.
- Health and safety officer Puts a Correction to unsafe acts or unsafe conditions in the workplace through the regular line of authority.
- May use emergency authority to stop unsafe acts when immediate action is required.
- Safety Officer creates and maintains awareness of any developing situations.
- Ensures there is safety information in each Incident Action Plan.
- Health and Safety officer participate in planning meetings to identify any health and safety concerns inherent in the operations daily work-plan.
- Health and safety officer involves in the Review of Incident Action Plan for safety implications.
- Investigate accidents/ incidents and generate lesson learned to the management.
- Ensure the preparation and implementation of Site Safety and Health Plan
- Carry out a site inspection to ensure it is a hazard-free environment.
- Conducts toolbox meetings.
- The HSE Officer is part of the project safety council and leads all efforts to enhance safety.
- The safety officer analyses and approves all subcontractors safety plans.
- Verifies that injury logs and reports are completed and submitted to related government agencies.
- Checks that all tools and equipment are adequate and safe for use.
- Safety and health officer support safe practices at the job site.
- Supports and enforces safety guidelines.
- Educates, Trains and carries out drills and exercises on how to manage emergency situations.
- Conducts accidents and near-miss investigations.
SAFETY AND HEALTH OFFICER DUTIES.
- Make reports to management and other concerned authorities as requested or mandated by regulations.
- Safety and health officer Carries out job hazard analysis together with other workers.
- Establishes safety standards and policies as needed.
- Always on the lookout for the safety of all workers and works to protect them from entering hazardous situations.
- health and safety officer responds to employees’ safety concerns.
- Coordinates registration and removal of hazardous waste.
- Safety officer serves as a meeting point between state and local agencies and contractors.
- Receives reports from and responds to orders issued by Department of Labor.
- Health and safety officer arranges for Occupational safety and health Inspections and evaluations of the workplace by external agencies/consultants.
- Support the development and implementation of OHS policies and programs.
- Advise and instruct on various safety-related topics (noise levels, use of machinery etc.).
- Conduct risk assessment and enforce preventative measures.
- Review existing policies in the workplace and updates it according to legislation.
- Initiate and organize OHS training of employees and executives.
- Carry out inspection of work premises, equipment, and personnel to identify safety issues or non-conformity
- Oversee installations, maintenance, disposal of substances etc.
- Conducts and records site inductions
- Investigate and records incidents to ascertain causes yielding to worker’s compensation claims
- Prepare reports and records statistical information to upper management for future reference.
- Carry out the permit to work (PTW )Monitoring and review.
Onyeka Emma is a QHSE Professional, a business person, and an entrepreneur. He is very passionate about health and safety, Business and Entrepreneurship.