Groundworks contractor fined for petrol fire
A Kent groundworks contractor has been fined after a worker sustained burns following petrol thrown on a bonfire.
What leads to the fine of the groundworks contractor?
Kent County surfacing Ltd employed a 26-year-old groundworker to work on a new residential development in Ramsgate kent on 24th June 2020
While at work, a co-worker used petrol on a bonfire, but the ground worker was unaware of this event and went to light the bonfire after being instructed.
While at that, the worker was engulfed in flames as the petrol ignited and had Serious burns, thereby making the worker undergo two skin graft operations to his left hand, left arm, left side of the torso and both his legs.
Ground workers are responsible for preparing the construction site ready for the structural work to commence.
The Health Safety and Executive (HSE UK) found that the company failed in workers’ supervision. And has no appropriate information and instruction given to workers to prevent risks to health and safety.
They were fined £10,000 and ordered to pay the cost of £7,333.42 at the Folk store Magistrates on 10th October.
Read more on groundworks contractor fined for petrol fire
- Five steps to reduce mining site work accidents in Australia
- Things you need to know about the federal road safety corps (FRSC) of Nigeria
- Main characteristics of a permit space(permit-required confined space)
- Construction company fined after worker falls through a fragile roof.
- Furniture retailer fined for insurance breach
- Can a first aider get injured while providing first aid to a casualty?
- What is the difference between conformance, conformity and compliance?
- What is the difference between the HSE manual and the HSE plan?
- 7 types of permit to work (PTW) in use at the work site
- 7 ways to improve employee safety at your facility
- Everything you need to know about a fire extinguisher ball
- What is HSE-Health, Safety and Environment?
Onyeka Emma is a QHSE Professional, a business person, and an entrepreneur. He is very passionate about health and safety, Business and Entrepreneurship.