How to prevent drowsy driving
How to prevent drowsy driving
Drowsy driving comes from being tired and feeling sleepy while on the wheel.
Meanwhile, drowsy driving is similar to driving drunk where a driver is driving under the alcohol influence.
Sleepiness like alcohol decreases your awareness and slows your reaction time.
In the same vein, if a driver has been sleep-deprived, there is a tendency for the driver to sleep while at the wheel.
Below is a list of actions to prevent drowsy driving and ensure that an accident does not happen while on the road.
1. Get enough sleep before you embark on your trip.
Getting adequate sleep is not just for drivers but for everyone to stay alert, healthy, active and productive the next day.
Enough sleep is one way to offer protection from drowsy driving.
READ MORE: 8 Reasons why accident and incident investigation is important in the workplace.
2. Say no to alcohol.
Alcohol and driving are a terrible mix. Do not drink alcohol if you know you’ll be driving the next day. If you can’t avoid drinking alcohol, get someone else to drive the vehicle in your place.
Alcohol consumption affects sleep and increases drowsiness.
3. Take a coffee.
Coffee increases alertness but only for a short period. When you’re driving and notice you’re feeling sleepy, you can pull over and take a coffee.
That will improve your alertness. Make a coffee handy at your disposal to make this possible.
READ MORE: A complete guide on how to get a health and safety job in Nigeria.
4. Don’t take medications that can cause you to sleep.
Some medications can cause sleep after taking them. Allergy Medications (Antihistamines) such as brompheniramine (Bromfed, Dimetapp). Diphenhydramine, Hydroxyzine (Vistaril, Atarax) etc.
Ensure you check properly to ascertain if the medication at your disposal can induce sleep. If so, make sure to use public transportation to avoid drowsy driving.
5. Pull over and take a nap.
When noticing that you’re feeling sleepy, pull over and take a nap of 20 minutes. And after that, you can continue your journey.
READ MORE: A simple lesson on Job hazard analysis.
A Final note: How to prevent drowsy driving.
Drowsing driving is not a good story for anyone, Not for the driver or the fellow passengers in the vehicle.
Drowsy driving is a risk to persons on the road.
Allowing that to happen means you’re allowing a traffic crash. Often disastrous and can take a split second to occur.
- A GUIDE TO IOSH MEMBERSHIP.
- FEW THINGS TO KEEP IN MIND WHEN CONDUCTING TOOLBOX TALK.
- 37 Chemical handling safety tips.
- How do we make the health and safety policy accessible to all workers?
- 30 hand safety tips to prevent hand injury
- Toolbox talk on waste disposal
- Company and director fined after HSE inspectors find an unusable toilet
- Halloween safety tips for adults and kids that you should know
- Things you need to know about the BCSP Board of certified safety professionals
- Transportation safety toolbox talk
- Office fire safety tips
Onyeka Emma is a QHSE Professional, a business person, and an entrepreneur. He is very passionate about health and safety, Business and Entrepreneurship.