Toolbox talk on personal hygiene at work
Poor personal hygiene will be an avenue that will allow germs to grow in your environment and leave you vulnerable to infection
Toolbox talk on personal hygiene.
Personal hygiene involves keeping the external body in good and clean condition. You have to maintain good personal hygiene as an employee in the workplace. Having good personal hygiene will ensure healthy living for you.
Poor personal hygiene will be an avenue that will allow germs to grow in your environment and leave you vulnerable to infection.
When you don’t practise good personal hygiene, people may try to avoid you by leaving you isolated and lonely for a long time.
In every workplace, personal hygiene should be promoted by all and not just the management since the employees have the right to a clean and safe workplace.
Importance of good personal hygiene at the workplace
When employees exhibit good personal hygiene at work, it yields good results. Among the results of good personal hygiene includes
- It helps to prevent the spread of disease and illness in the work environment.
- Personal hygiene promotes the good health of workers and their social well-being.
- It ensures that the workplace is pleasant for others.
- An atmosphere of cleanliness and safety is observed when there is good personal hygiene.
- It tends to curtail distractions and tensions from poor hygiene practices.
- Reduction in stress levels and tension among the employees
How to promote good personal hygiene as an employee
- Ensure that you keep your work clothing neat and clean.
- Ensure that there are no holes in your work clothing. Germs or hazardous substances may come in contact with your body when there are holes in your work clothing.
- Avoid wearing ripped clothing as this may cause caught-in hazards for you when working around machinery.
- Always change your shoes every day and dry them. If your work exposes you to a wet environment, remember to clean them.
- Avoid wearing PPE that is torn or damaged. Ensure that you store your PPE in a safe place.
- Avoid wearing contaminated PPE with your bare hands.
When being exposed to poor body hygiene from another worker in your workplace, it’ll impact you. Body odours can become a problem for workers and can affect other workers from concentrating on their work.
- Ensure that you bathe, shower and wash your hair regularly.
- Use soap and antiperspirant regularly, especially when seating all day.
- Ensure that you keep your hands neat and as often as possible.
- Avoid wearing too much perfume as some people may be allergic to them.
- Always maintain your dental health. Brush regularly at least two times a day. Having bad breath may not be offensive to you but to another person.
- Wear socks in your safety boot to absorb sweat from your body and keep your safety shoe free from smell.
- If you have any cuts or burns, treat them effectively with appropriate dressings to avoid infections.
- Whenever you notice that you’re sick, do not come to work.
- During sneezing, remember to cover your mouth with your hand, your handkerchief or tissue with your elbow.
- Remember to wash your hands with soap frequently.
When are you to wash your hands?
- After each restroom visit
- After handling cash (money)
- After touching machines at the workplace
- When you have removed your hand glove or when you want to wear it
- Before and after eating
- After cleaning your office or workplace
Cleanliness in the work environment.
- Ensure there is adequate cleanliness in your work environment. Ensure you throw away all garbage, wipe down surfaces, and ensure all floors are devoid of materials that will cause obstruction.
- Do not litter the work environment with uneaten food or dishes. Ensure that all food is in a sealed container while you keep them in the workplace.
- Do not eat outside the canteen or places meant for eating.
- Ensure you use the garbage bin for waste.
- Ensure you notify the management about the ants and unusual droppings in the environment.
- After using the microwave, ensure you wipe down any dirt on it.
- How to ensure Off-the-job safety: Toolbox talk
- HSE publishes annual work-related ill-health and injury statistics for 2021/22
- How to use PDCA cycle in occupational health and safety standard ISO 45001:2018.
- A complete guide on how to get a health and safety job in Nigeria; Starting and growing a career in HSE.
Onyeka Emma is a QHSE Professional, a business person, and an entrepreneur. He is very passionate about health and safety, Business and Entrepreneurship.