ESSO, An Oil Company owned by Exxon Mobil in Uk has been fined half a million pounds.
What resulted in the fine?
There was a leak of a dangerous gas discovered by a worker who was on his way home.
A member of the staff cycling home noticed a leak that would later be a release of 15 tonnes of LPG- Liquified petroleum gas at Hampshire refinery.
As discovered, The leak has been on for 4 hours. And it was later seen and stopped by experts.
The Southampton magistrate court responded to the 2015 leak and fined ESSO £500,000.
- A brief explanation of the three ISO management systems every health and safety officer should know.
- Toolbox talk on equipment maintenance.
- Tips on writing a great minute during a safety meeting.
Mr Jonathan Halewood, HSE Inspector said the measures involved to prevent accidents should be proportionate to the risks.
“Where companies handle large quantities of substances that can cause major accidents, such as LPG, they are required to have layers of protection in place to prevent accidents.
- 9 ways to prevent workplace violence.
- 5 reasons why you need to invest in your workers’ health and safety training.
- Inappropriate use of mobile phones and the dangers involved in it.
“In this incident a number of those layers either failed or were not in place, resulting in a significant leak.
“Even though there was no fire or injury on this occasion, there was potential for a major accident.
An ExxonMobil spokesperson said: “We deeply regret this incident, and have actively revised relevant processes and procedures to further strengthen our safe operations”.
- 8reasons why accident and incident investigation is Important in the workplace.
- Few tips to keep in mind when conducting a toolbox talk
- 7 Benefits of good housekeeping in the workplace.