The south end borough council contracted a demolition firm, Ace demolition services ltd to demolish futures community college on south church boulevard, Southend-on-Sea.
On 28 July 2020, During the work activities, 20-year-old Shannon Brasier was working with a colleague to load a fuel hose into the rear compartment of a 21-tonne excavator,
While at that, the excavator moved around and crushed her between the excavator and the Mobile fuel tank.
As a result, Ms Shannon Brasier suffered life-changing injuries to her neck, skull and face, though she was fortunate to have survived.
Health and safety executive report on the matter
The Health and safety executive (HSE) UK found that the ACE demolition services ltd failed to implement controls to segregate pedestrians and construction plants. And equally allowed operatives to act as signallers/banksman for the excavator without giving them adequate training.
The director of ACE demolition firm, Mr John Gilligan was responsible for the refuelling when the incident happened.
The Health and safety executive inspector, Mr David Tonge, said that this incident could have been avoided and that it occurred due to failure to keep the workers away from the excavator.
The fines against the demolition firm
0n 24 November 2022, At Chelmsford magistrate court, The Ace demolition ltd and John Gilligan were fined £20,000 and ordered to pay costs of £9,731 for breaching Section 2(1) and 37(1) of the Health & Safety at Work Act 1974.
- Scrap metal company fined after worker loses four fingers
- Crsp certification: How to become a Canadian registered safety professional
- What is the context of the organisation according to the ISO management system?
- Five steps to reduce mining site work accidents in Australia
- Groundworks contractor fined for petrol fire
- Egypt petroleum show (Egypt) 2023
- 8 reasons why you need a security education and awareness in this period
Onyeka Emma is a QHSE Professional, a business person, and an entrepreneur. He is very passionate about health and safety, Business and Entrepreneurship.