Wheelbarrow safety is often encouraged during wheelbarrow use at home or at the work site.
Wheelbarrows are small hand-propelled vehicles, pushed and guided by a person to convey a load from one location to another. Made up of one wheel, handle, tyre, leg, frame, steel buckets, handle, and tray brace.
Wheelbarrows don’t have sharp edges on their body except for the damaged ones that may have sharp edges.
Anybody can use a wheelbarrow as long as the person has two hands and the person can practice wheelbarrow safety effectively.
However, below are the various wheelbarrow safety practises.
- Inspect the wheelbarrow and ensure it is in good condition, and do not use a wheelbarrow that is bad.
- Make sure you pay attention while loading a wheelbarrow because any mistake you make will lead to the toppling of the wheelbarrow.
- Separate and carry all bulky loads on several trips.
- Repair or replace all damaged wheelbarrows.
- Ensure that the load in the wheelbarrow is what you can carry. Heavy loads will be troublesome to manoeuvre your way while climbing a hill or turning a corner.
- Ensure you determine the route of your carry.
- Always balance your load over the wheel. It will always help you to have firm control of the wheelbarrow.
- Maintain a firm grip on the handle of the wheelbarrow. And do not carry the wheelbarrow with a wet or oily hand.
- While moving the wheelbarrow, do not move too quickly.
- If you notice you have lost control of the wheelbarrow, do not try to hold the wheelbarrow, but rather let it go and inform others of the impending danger.
- Do not use the wheelbarrow to carry long loads such as planks or rebars. Such loads are awkward and will not allow you to hold the wheelbarrow handle. Ensure you use a forklift for such a job.
- Always lubricate the moving part of the wheelbarrow like the wheel.
- After use, ensure you clean and store the wheelbarrow in a safe place. Do not park at emergency exits, doors, stairways, Walkways or near emergency equipment.
Onyeka Emma is a QHSE Professional, a business person, and an entrepreneur. He is very passionate about health and safety, Business and Entrepreneurship.