SIMPLE TIPS ON WORKING AT HEIGHT.
working at height is one of the activities you cannot do without in the workplace. There will always need to do a job above the ground level. The biggest causes of fatalities and major injuries in the workplace are associated with working at height.
Common causes are falls from ladders and on fragile surfaces. In the industry, ‘Work at height’ means work in any place where, if there were no precautions or control in place, a person or worker or an employee could fall a distance likely to cause bodily injury (for example a fall from a ladder).
WHAT DO I HAVE TO DO WHEN WORKING AT HEIGHT?
1. YOU HAVE TO PLAN THE JOB.
Plan and supervise every work by competent people who have the requisite skills, education to do the job, and the experience.
2. USE THE RIGHT EQUIPMENT.
3. YOU HAVE TO PUT THE RIGHT CONTROL MEASURES.
Assess the risk factoring in the height of the task, the duration of the task, The frequency of the task, and the surface condition of the area that you are working on and also remember to do the following points.
• If possible work from the ground and when you can not help it, you do working at height.
• Ensure that there is good access while going up the height. Avoid anything that can endanger the movement of workers.
• Duly inspect every equipment you are to work with before you embark on work at height.
• Check out for fragile surfaces like roofs and do not rest on them.
• Do Protect falling objects.
• There should be proper emergency and rescue procedures and plan in place to cater to any contingencies.
• Don’t encourage overloading of the ladder with equipment or materials workers are carrying up the ladder because it might lead to the toppling of the Ladder.
• Do not encourage resting of the ladders against weak upper surfaces e.g. glazing or plastic gutters.
• Do not allow incompetent workers /Employees to do work at height job. Competency has to do with having the skills, knowledge, and experience to do the job.
- 8 reasons why accident and incident investigation is important.
- 7 benefits of consulting with employees with matters relating to health and safety
- 7 benefits of good housekeeping in the workplace.
- OCD self-help guide: people who do not experience pain can never grow
- 5 reasons why you need to invest in your workers’ health and safety training
- Tips on writing a great minute during the safety and health meeting
- 19 Things Employers Can Do To Protect The Employees Against Covid-19 Pandemic In A Workplace.
- Toolbox talk on working at height.
- 9 Ways to Prevent Workplace Violence
Onyeka Emma is a QHSE Professional, a business person, and an entrepreneur. He is very passionate about health and safety, Business and Entrepreneurship.