Kitchen safety tips are for everyone performing any activity in the kitchen, the cook or the food attendant etc. A part of good kitchen organization is preparing for kitchen safety. These kitchen safety tips will enable you to perform your duty in a manner that you don’t expose yourself to injury or harm or endanger the life of fellow persons around you in the kitchen.
However, To perform safely in the kitchen, Here are 13 kitchen safety tips for you to follow.
1. Check for all electrical cables in your appliances.
Ensure that all cables in the kitchen are in good condition with the cords, plugs and sockets. Your electrical appliances such as the toaster and blender have to be in good condition and ensure you’re using a 3-prong grounded connection with it. Avoid using an extension cable with the appliances. Dispose of any damaged appliances. Get a new one and be careful to avoid buying a fake or substandard one. Also, remember to unplug your kitchen appliances when it’s necessary to touch them.
2. Make use of your cabinet effectively.
Always put your cabinet to use by storing your medicine and supplies in them. Ensure you lock them to prevent children from getting access to them.
3. Take off your pot from the burner.
Whenever you finish cooking or preparing your meal, do not leave your cooking pot on the burner. Take it off and place it safely on your cabinet or cupboard. Always remember to turn off your burners.
4. Avoid inappropriate clothing
Don’t go to the kitchen with inappropriate clothing when you’re cooking. Some clothes can easily catch fire because of their looseness, for example, loose sleeves etc.
5. Keep your lighters safe.
Keep your lighters in places that are not accessible to kids. Such areas have to be out of reach for children. Children can easily pick up lighters and use them appropriately.
6. Keep the candles in a safe place.
Ensure your candles are in a safe place. Keep them out of reach of children. You can keep the candles in a flameproof container.
7. Avoid exposing your body to scalding.
Scalding is a common injury associated with a kitchen when the human body part touches a hot surface or boiling fluids. Always ensure you turn off your pot handles away from the burner and avoid hot steam from touching your body. Avoid lifting the lid of any hot pot or plate.
8. Take care of your knife and other sharp tools in the kitchen.
Ensure you practice good knife handling techniques. When you want to cut an item with a knife, always cut it away from your body. Ensure there is a cutting board for you. Avoid using a blunt knife. Sharpen your knife so that you can cut easily with it.
Your knives should be washed, cleaned and kept after use. Avoid using a knife with a wet and slippery handle to prevent injuries to you. Do not put your knife in soapy water.
9. Watch out and be careful of a sharp edge.
Sharp edges as blender blades should be carefully touched when there is a need. Ensure the blender is unplugged from the power source when doing so. Objects such as scissors and broken glass should be carefully touched when necessary.
10. Store cleaning materials.
Don’t expose your cleaning materials after any use. Ensure you store them safely and keep them out of reach of children.
11. Clean every spill immediately.
Ensure you clean every spill immediately whenever it occurs in the kitchen. Spills from water or oil can lead to slip trips and falls which may be fatal.
12. Keep children away from the kitchen.
Kitchen activities can pose a danger to kids, especially toddlers. Ensure you always keep them away to prevent harm to them. Do not allow them to drop their toys in the kitchen because it will obstruct free movement.
13. Always wash your hands.
When you touch dirty surfaces or you have to prepare a meal, always wash your hand. Washing your hand with soap will ensure you that dirt doesn’t have its way into your mouth. Wash your hand as often as possible as it’s very hygienic to do.
Conclusion; Kitchen safety tips.
Whether you’re preparing or serving food from the kitchen or preparing for a social gathering for friends, remember to keep these 13 kitchen safety tips in mind.
- things you need to know before you enrol for ISO 45001:2018 STANDARD lead auditor course.
- 19 Things Employers Can Do To Protect The Employees Against Covid-19 Pandemic In A Workplace.
- few tips to keep in mind when conducting a toolbox talk
- Important road safety tips during driving, walking or crossing the road
- 8 tips on how you can improve your child’s safety and keep them away from criminals.
- How to prevent wet floor injuries in your workplace
- How to calculate man hours in (hse) safety
- What is the context of the organisation according to the ISO management system?
- Transportation safety toolbox talk
- The LOTO procedure that every safety officer should know
- Transportation safety toolbox talk
- 37 Chemical handling safety tips.