They are actions of workers that can cause harm to the worker or to the fellow worker if not controlled.
The action can result during work activities. Unsafe acts are a major cause of incidents or accidents on site.
Over 70 per cent of accidents causes are by persons. So working on human minds can prevent accidents from happening.
They result from unsafe actions or environmental conditions that can lead to incidents/accidents on site.
Unsafe acts and unsafe conditions are two hazards that cause accidents.
Unsafe act examples.
- Horseplay at work
- Running in the workplace.
- Working without the necessary PPE.
- Doing concreting without wearing a proper hand glove.
- Exposing your body to extreme weather conditions such as sun or cold.
- Using a defective tool at work
- Not inspecting a work tool before using the tool
- Poor personal hygiene
- Lack of knowledge.
- Poor work attitude.
- Working without paying close attention.
- Failure to do Tagout and logout.
- Fighting on-site or engaging in violence.
- Use of foul or abusive language.
- Using a machine while being untrained.
- Improper dumping of waste on the floor.
- Over speeding while on the wheel.
- Carrying out a welding work without wearing a welding goggle.
- Doing a mason job with an exposed body part.
- Laziness at work.
- Adjusting a part of a moving machine.
- Working at a height without wearing a body harness belt.
- Putting in a loose dressing while operating a machine.
- Smoking outside the smoking area
- Unstable work platforms.
- Unstable work areas.
- Excessive noise.
- Unprotected excavations.
- Absence of guardrails.
- Water on the floor of the walkways.
- Oil spills on the floor of the walkway.
- Overloaded electrical socket.
- Improper barricade at excavations.
- Poor or substandard housekeeping conditions.
- Improperly stacked materials.
- No guard on a machine.
- Operating equipment at the wrong speed.
- Overcrowded work areas; Poor work layout.
- The cable on the walkway.
- Defective tools or equipment.
- Gas leak.
- Poor oxygen concentration while working.
- Gas flaring.
- Unearthed electrical appliance.
- Defective equipment.
- Poor illumination
For unsafe acts and unsafe conditions: What can you do to promote safety today?
- Correct all unsafe conditions before the start of work.
- Regular monitoring and supervision of workers at all times at work.
- When you correct a hazard, ensure you document it for record purposes.
- Report all unsafe actions and unsafe conditions at the work to your supervisor.
- Educate workers on what is unsafe acts and unsafe conditions and how they will assist in eliminating them.
Onyeka Emma is a QHSE Professional, a business person, and an entrepreneur. He is very passionate about health and safety, Business and Entrepreneurship.