10 Personal hygiene practices everyone should adopt for their lives
There are varieties of personal hygiene practices we should adopt in our lives, but the ones below will give us a clue on what to start with. Personal hygiene practices are those practices that involve keeping our body clean, both external and internal body. With good personal hygiene practices, someone is sure of minimizing the rate of infections from disease and enhancing the state of their health for optimum results. There are many types of personal hygiene. Look at them carefully below.
Types of personal hygiene.
1. Toilet hygiene.
There are lots of hygiene practices you can engage in when making use of a toilet or restroom. These start with when you enter the Toilet and what you do after that. For example, clean the toilet seat if necessary, or avoid splashing the pee in the toilet areas.
2. Nail Hygiene.
Nail hygiene is part of hand hygiene that focuses more on the nails. It involves trimming and cleaning our hands intentionally to prevent our nails from harbouring germs and infections. Keep your hands short and clean frequently.
3. Oral hygiene.
Proper oral hygiene is essential to have a healthy tooth. Oral hygiene is part of what people should engage in to keep their teeth and gums in a healthy condition. A regular visit to the dentist is part of what oral hygiene is preaching for.
4. Hand hygiene.
Hand hygiene will protect you against the germs from touching contaminated surfaces. The simple act of regular cleaning of your hands will protect you from a lot of sickness and make you healthy.
5. Sickness hygiene.
Sickness hygiene you can practise includes covering your mouth and nose when sneezing to prevent sharing your items with people when you are sick. The sickness hygiene practice is the practice that prevents the disease from getting to the next person around you. The responsibility of this type of hygiene lies solely on you to effect it.
Personal hygiene practices everyone should adopt for their lives.
1. Clean yourself properly after using the toilet/restroom.
These are the things to do at all times when using the restroom. Make sure that you clean yourself properly. Do not only use the paper tissue but use water and soap to clean yourself properly.
2. Bathe regularly.
Everyone has to learn this particular habit of bathing every time because it is one of the best hygiene practices that can reward you in many ways. Make it a duty to shower in the morning and the evening before bed. Whenever you finish a job that makes you sweat, shower with soap to clean up yourself. The sweat that comes from your body gets smelling and produces an odour.
3. Brush your teeth.
People should brush their teeth at least twice daily in the morning and the evening. It will help to give you good oral health. Poor oral hygiene will damage your teeth and give you an avenue to end up in a hospital treating your teeth at medical cost. Make sure to use the right brush and toothpaste for your teeth. Do not introduce sharp objects into your teeth. Sharp objects will damage the teeth. Also, floss your teeth daily for optimal oral hygiene.
4. Trim your nails properly.
Your nails can harbour dirt if they are overgrown. Please make sure that you trim your nails the best way. During eating, you can easily take dirt from your nails into your mouth when there is a dirt in your nails. It doesn’t look nice when going out with dirty nails.
5. Wear clean clothes.
Make sure that the clothes you wear are neat and clean. Avoid wearing dirty clothing as this may promote body odour and give you an infection. Remember to sun dry your clothes after washing them for drying effectively.
6. Cover your nose with your hands or tissue when sneezing and coughing.
Liquid droplets expel from your mouth and nose each time you sneeze and cough. They will spread in the air around the area where you are. Those droplets of liquids contain germs from the nose and mouth. When other people breathe in that area, they will get infected.
7. Take care of your hair and cut them when necessary.
Remember to cut your hair low to look neat.
8. Good Sleeping patterns.
An adult should sleep at least 8 hours every day. Avoid anything that takes this hour from you. A shortage of rest and sleep will affect your body and your well-being.
9. Have a scheduled doctor visit.
Visit a doctor whenever you notice any sign of sickness in your body. Don’t practice medication. Self-medication is an unhealthy practice. Have a routine medical checkup on your body. A regular body check will help diagnose any infection on time.
10. Wash your hands frequently.
The Centers for Disease Control (CDC), US, gave occasions on when to wash our hands. You are to wash your hands on the below:
- Before eating any food
- Before, during and after preparing your food
- Before and after treating a wound
- After handling a pet or any pet-related matters
- Before and after taking care of anyone who has diarrhoea or who is breathing
- After touching dirty surfaces or garbage
- After sneezing, coughing, or blowing your nose
- After changing diapers or cleaning up a child who has used the toilet
Five steps for effective hand washing
- Wet your hands with clean water and soap.
- Ensure you lather the hand by rubbing the hands with the soap, reach the fingers and the back of the hand and place it under your nails.
- Scrub the hand for 20 seconds to ensure an effective washing.
- Make sure that you rinse the hand very well with running water.
- Dry the hand after washing it.
Personal hygiene practices are the hygiene that is personal to you. No one needs to remind you about it. It’s your health that you want to safeguard and protect. The priority of protecting one’s life should be from the person before others will take it up. When someone fails to care for themselves, their health will be at risk of sickness. You must engage in the above personal hygiene practices to promote a healthy life for yourself.
- 39 Top Home Safety Tips Everyone Should Know.
- A step-by-step guide on how to write a work-at-height risk assessment
- 10 Safe lab practices in a research laboratory
- 6 principles of auditing every management system auditor should apply when carrying out auditing.
- What is competence, and why is it important?