Forklifts are heavy-duty machines. Driving a forklift is not like you’re driving a regular car. A car is a balanced four-point suspension system. A forklift is a three-point suspension system that is unbalanced. lots of dangers occur when using forklifts on loading docks and in warehouses. Forklift safety is greatly encouraged to prevent these dangers from happening in the workplace. we have different forklift trucks such as electric motor rider trucks, electric motor narrow aisle trucks, electric motor hand trucks, rough terrain forklift trucks etc.
Forklift safety: How can we stay safe today? what will we do to promote forklift safety today?
- All heavy-duty machines, not just forklifts must have a fire extinguisher.
- Only allow trained forklift operators to operate the equipment.
- Maintenance for the forklift is carried out at regular intervals with a proper record of the activity.
- A working audible alarm has to be in place. Don’t use the forklift if this is not available, and don’t let others use it. The audible alarm will warn pedestrians to keep away from the moving truck.
- Please, do not carry a load on a forklift if the load is greater than the safe working load of the truck.
- Do not carry an unbalanced load, this may cause the truck to topple.
- Make sure that all mirrors in the truck are in good working conditions as this will give the operator a normal operating vision.
- Ensure that all these items are in place such as the Overhead guard, Capacity plate, Load backrest, Fork retaining pins and horns.
- Secure the load very well before lifting and during the lifting process.
- Do not allow any worker to stand on the forks.
- Ensure that the pedestrians and forklift operators maintain the road marks and signs.
- Pay attention to the speed limit within the facility.
- Ensure you drive the load as safely as possible.
- Ensure that the forks are straight and in good condition.
- Check for the tyres, oils, lights, steering wheel, brakes, and water.
- Use proper lockout/Tagout procedure to prevent forklifts from inadvertently starting up.
Toolbox Talk Topic:
Onyeka Emma is a QHSE Professional, a business person, and an entrepreneur. He is very passionate about health and safety, Business and Entrepreneurship.