Cement safety on-site prevent workers from cement hazards. Cement is a major cause of skin irritation in a construction site.
Consequently, the employees, especially the masons and those handling cement are at major risks.
Cement serves as an ingredient in the following materials.
Effects of cement on the body.
- Skin irritation.
- Skin burn
- Inflammation of the eyelids.
- It can lead to dermatitis.
Work situations that give rise to cement harm.
- Excessive sweating from workers handling cement on-site can increase its hazardous effect. Wet-cement is caustic and abrasive. It can damage the skin very fast.
- When opening cement bags exposes workers to cement dust. And can cause eye redness and irritation depending on the level of exposure.
- Kneeling on fresh concrete exposes the knee to cement and can cause damage to the knee.
- Different cement activities on-site can expose the worker to the risk of cement hazards. For example, pouring and mixing concrete.
- More so, dry cement is less hazardous than wet cement. Cement can cause respiratory allergy over a prolonged length of time.
- Good personal hygiene and cleanliness are needed to control the effect of this hazard.
Cement safety: How can you promote cement safety today?
- Maintain proper personal hygiene at all times.
- Ensure you have a good shower after work.
- Wash and keep all your work cloth very neat.
- Educate workers on the cement hazards and how to control them.
- The cement safety data sheet has to be in visible places on site.
- Workers must wear personal protective equipment for the cement handling e.g respirator, safety google, etc.
- Report all cases of dermatitis among the worker and seek medical help immediately. Above all, the worker can only resume work until the situation improves.
- Change all work clothes soaked with wet cement to new cloth.
- Ensure you take all necessary precautions to protect yourself against cement hazards.